Have you outgrown your Shopify store? Are you being limited on what you can do and have to upgrade to a more expensive plan? Regardless of why you’re fed up with Shopify, these Shopify alternatives are worth looking into, can help you transfer your existing store, or assist you with building an online store from scratch.
Why Shopify is bad?
From the eyes of an unexperienced user, Shopify is the next big thing that’s going to be difficult to replace. However, from the point of view of an experience user, it’s going to be very easy to find an alternative to Shopify mainly because their platform limits a lot of the design features necessary to build an online store.
Shopify is a good ecommerce platform but it lacks in the following:
- Shopify is no longer the cheapest ecommerce platform (the $9/month plan doesn’t give you the option to sell products online). Cheapest plan for selling online is $29/month.
- You’ll be charged transaction fees if you don’t plan on using their payment gateway.
- Cheaper plans limit key features such as the ability to use gift cards, real-time shipping rates, and abandoned cart recovery.
- They use a custom template markup language called liquid. You won’t be able to edit your theme without knowing how to work with liquid.
Best Shopify alternatives
After using dozens of ecommerce platforms for various online projects, here are the best alternatives to Shopify’s ecommerce platform:
Price: $29.95 to $199.95
Bigcommerce is going to be the best Shopify alternative. All of the design features that are limited on with Shopify are going to be available on Bigcommerce. It’s reported that over 95,000 online businesses use their platform to sell online.
Some noteworthy things about their ecommerce platform include:
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Platform is easy to learn and use
- Responsive customer support
- Strong SEO tools
- Rich ecommerce features
How Bigcommerce is better than Shopify:
- No transaction fees. Shopify’s fees can be waived though.
- More flexibility over the design of your store themes.
- Bigcommerce has more “out of the box” features that are built right into the platform.
- You’ll be able to receive a discount if you choose to pay on an annual basis.
Price: $15 to $135
Volusion is one of the oldest hosted ecommerce platforms with a good reputation. It’s reported that Volusion powers over 40,000 online businesses.
Their strongest selling points include:
- Create unlimited product options
- No transaction fees on neither plan
- “Soft add” feature for adding products to cart without leaving the current page
- Strong marketing features
- Good reputation
How Volusion is better than Shopify:
- Volusion doesn’t charge any transaction fees.
- One-page checkout is built right into the platform.
- EBay integration is already integrated into their platform.
- Volusion is cheaper than Shopify.
- Volusion offers recurring billing that isn’t integrated into Shopify yet.
Price: $19.99 to $129.99
If you have a strong desire for marketing, 3dcart is your best option. The shopping cart has an extensive amount of marketing features to help you run promotions, entice customers and increase conversions. It’s been reported that over 15,000 online businesses use their ecommerce platform.
Some noteworthy 3dcart features include:
- Integrates well with payment gateways
- Strong marketing and SEO tools
- Supports drop shipping, wholesale, and back orders
- Constantly updated with new features
How 3dcart is better than Shopify:
- 3dcart is cheaper and gives you the option to save 15% by signing up for an annual plan.
- Their themes use the latest HTML5 markup language that’s easy to work with.
- 3dcart doesn’t charge any transaction fees.
- More control over what you can do with the design of your online store.
Now that you know all of the Shopify alternatives that are worth trying, it’s time to make the right decision. If you believe Shopify is no longer the ecommerce platform for you, the three carts listed above are excellent and will make the switch incredibly easy.
I’m all for Bigcommerce. However, Volusion and 3dcart are worthy competitors and worth trying.
Each of the Shopify alternatives mentioned above have a free trial. Here are the free trial links in the event that you wanted to give them a try: